IPBES youth workshop
IPBES youth workshop
IPBES (The Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services) works to strengthen the science-policy interface for biodiversity and ecosystem services for the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, long-term human well-being and sustainable development. To do this, IPBES draws on the vast capacities of the individuals, organisations and institutions already working on biodiversity and ecosystem services across the world.
IPBES youth workshop contributes to the overarching objective of IPBES by expanding involvement in IPBES' efforts and increasing use of IPBES products. It supports the implementation of the IPBES capacity-building rolling plan through promoting the fellowship programme and further expanding and supporting the development of communities of practice.
- Familiarize participants with the work of IPBES and explore how participants and their networks can contribute; and
- Explore future scenarios and biodiversity and ecosystem services from the perspective of early-career professionals and thus contributing to IPBES' work on scenarios and models.
Date and place
The workshop will be organised 27-28 June 2019 in São Pedro, Brazil. Participants will arrive on June 26 and depart on June 29.
Open invitation to nominate participants
Governments, organisations and networks working on issues related to biodiversity and ecosystem services have been invited to nominate early-career professionals to participate in the workshop. The deadline for applying expired May 6.
Nominated candidates should be:
- In the early stages of their careers, indicatively not older than 30 years of age and active voices in their communities on issues related to biodiversity and ecosystem services;
- Willing to actively share experience and knowledge gained within their communities and become active supporters of IPBES and IPBES's work on capacity-building; and
- Strong communicators and proficient in English.
- Candidates will be selected by IPBES with the aim of achieving a geographic and gender balance, and representation of multiple knowledge systems.
- All nominees will be notified of the results via email by IPBES' technical support unit on capacity-building.
Support for travel and basic accommodation will be provided to all participants.
The workshop is organised under the auspices of the IPBES capacity-building task force in collaboration with the IPBES expert group on scenarios and models, the Norwegian Environment Agency, the Brazilian Platform on biodiversity and ecosystem services (BPBES), the São Paulo Research Foundation's Research programme on Biodiversity, Characterisation, Conservation, Restoration and Sustainable Use (BIOTA-FAPESP), the International Institute for Sustainability (IIS), and the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI). The workshop is funded by the Norwegian Environment Agency.
Click here to download posters.
Questions and further information
Please contact the IPBES technical support unit on firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about the event.